Sunday, June 8, 2008

Concerto

Some of you are able to judge my "busyness" through the frequency of my blog. I won't say you are entirely wrong. I was busy for the past 4 week.

A lot of people, including some of my colleagues in citrus thought I was lazing around at home when i wasn't working. That remained a dream till now. I was busy with the band's built up to its latest edition of concert, For Wonderful Friendship 2008.

Being in the band since 2001, I've involved directly and indirectly in 4 concerts. Being a player in the first 3 edition and an emcee for the latest one. When I saw the number of hands rose up when Munming asked who is a first timer.,I really get the feeling i'm pretty aged out already. haha..

But for bandsmen who are involved in the concert, its not a one day performance job. It takes weeks of practice and also sponsorship sourcing. This time, I'm more of the behind the scene kinda guy. I wasn't there during practice days, but I'm there almost every non-practice days. The only people i interact with are the organizers.

The sponsorship wasn't as good as last time. Judging form the thickness of the advertising book, money is coming slow. In 2005, we were struck by the "tsunami" when all the residence of ipoh gave the same excuse of not giving sponsorship because they had donated it to Aceh. This year, we were struck by the Cyclone and Earthquake. Whoa, sure die la.

Probably they found another target! I hope its reachable..haha


A lot of new methods were used this time. Advertising in voteband, advertising in major newspapers. Finding back allumnis for hefty donations. The newspaper was the funny part. We had our members becoming part time models for the band.
I have to admit, this is a little cheezy..haha

I've went to many schools and even help to promote in some of it. Trust me, 1 out of 3 schools i went don't understand what I said. I have to deliver once in English, then Cantonese and later on thier band leader does it in mandarin. Yikes, english command outside the City Centre is still in critical conditions. To be a people's person in malaysia, you probably need to know at least 3 languages.

But my biggest challenge yet for this edition of concert is becoming an Emcee. Aik...
Though I have no stage fright, but I also have zero experience as an Emcee... Everything was so awkward. But with good and workable partners, I've pull it through.. Its not a good job le I would say, but its pass-a-ble la i guess... The post-emcee-ing duty still gives me goosebumps sometimes. I guess it will take sometime to forget about it. But indeed it was a great experience. At least i've risen my benchmark from hosting 450 people to 1000 people.


Will the real slim shady please stand up?
Reminds me of the good old days. Well, this aren't my generation either.

Okla.... thatz all for now... My next blog will be up either on the penang trip or my Uni Results... I'm actually kinda worried for my varsity entrance now... very worried indeed.. life just have to go on...


1 comment:

Simply Me said...

Your emcee job was not as bad as u think la fren...it's a good try for the first time =)just got to be a lil more relax =)