Thursday, August 14, 2008

First Step

People always say that the first step is the hardest.
It is true, because it involves courage, guts and calculated risk. But once you made it, the rest just falls into place.

As you read from my last post, you know, I HAD a really hard time here. I was just a 'gaijin' in this part of the world where no one speaks my language . Initially, I found a group of Banana Republicans, but somehow or rather, its hard to mix with them as they are from the different faculties...

4 days later, I got fed up of eating and seating alone in the lecture hall. I am a social creature back in high school.. I know I can die without interaction. So I went and join my coursemates and today, I roughly have 12 to 15 new friends which can be considered closed enough to work and cling together for the next 3 years.

Assimilating in the group was tough. I admit I have a bad memory but when it comes to mandarin names, it got worst!.. Then i found out I wasnt the only one having problems remembering their name. Even the chinese speaking people have some problem as everyone's name sounds the same..haha.. Mine was the easiest to remember, Wilson. The name got so marketable because it was the only English name around. So when the people from Maths school calls my name, everyone knows roughly who the bloke is.

Till now, I speak minimal english around here except with my roommate and michaelians. I can't speak in a full sentence these days as my mandarin is still pretty bad. Surprisingly, Cantonese is still conversable here.. People from KL, Kuantan and Kemaman are able to speak perfect cantonese. The Penangites just follow through la... Luckily they dont speak hokkien that often coz if they really do, I'll die.. haha...

My new bunch of friends was kinda different la.. Jokes were different, topics weren't the same as SMI and even the wavelength is somehow different..haha.. But after a day or two, I began to assimilate into the group of new buddies. To judge whether you "are" in the group or not is simple... just check whether you can laugh at their jokes or not.. If you can, you are in!
It is a weird parameter but it is pointless when you join into a group of people where you can't
even share their laughter. If you cant do that, how can you even share the hardtimes together?

People from my course are kinda cool la. Apparently I was told by my seniors that Stats students are the most happening among the 5 majors in the Maths school along side with the Operational Research (OR) students. No wonder the Stats and OR student always claim the exco post for the maths school.
I did my observations la.
The Pure Maths student never talks, and always work alone.
Mathematical Modeling students are the "loud" type of people.
Mathematics Econs student are more like human but there are a lot of small clusters among them.
Stats and OR always cling together in the big group and do almost everything together.
Probably this is what they called happening la. In SMI i was in the "happening ones" and in USM, I'm glad to be in it too..haha...

"People usually add years to their life, but not life to their years"

To live a meaningful life, be happening... haha.. okla.. i think i got to go now. Its getting late and I need to walk back to my room..lol....btw..Here is the list of the new found friends with the names on it so you will know why I have tough times remembering their names..haha...

Gwee - roommate/Muar/ management
Min Sheng - Muar / Stats
Jian Hau - Ipoh/ Stats
Sheng Er - Ipoh/ Stats
Hoon Ching - Kemaman, Terengannu/ OR
Kam - Kuantan/ Stats
Kelly - Melaka/ Stats
Su Qing - Penang / Chemistry
Gui Song - Penang/ Bio
Jia Yu - Ipoh/ Education
Ee Kee - Penang/Stats
Chee Yan - Penang/Stats
Xiang Yi - Seremban/ Stats
Hui Yean - KL/ OR
Choon Quan - Penang/ OR
Tung Hui - Penang/ OR
Wei Bin - Kulim/ OR
Khairy - Penang/Stats
Ah Tong (he is a malay btw) - Penang/ Stats
Chen Leng - Penang/ Maths & Econ
Eng Sim - Penang/ Maths & Econ
Xin Yi - Klang/ Accountancy
Xin Hau - Penang / Maths & Econs...

if you wondering how i manage to remember... I have their phone number in my HP..haha.. thatz a method la... okla... i gtg now.. BTW, if i missed out anyone, I'm really sorry and please give me your phone number too... lol..

cyaz...
and I am finally coming back to ipoh... Saturday afternoon...

No comments: